Smiling can become much difficult and embarrassing if when your teeth are not white and shiny. This is something which negatively affects your personality and leads to low confidence and self-esteem.
Ageing, fast food, high caffeine intake, and high consumption of sugary products are some of the most common factors responsible for the development of tartar which ultimately leads to dirty teeth or yellowish teeth.
As it is difficult to regularly go to a dentist for the teeth whitening, in this article, I have listed some tried and tested teeth whitening home remedies which can help you whiten teeth at home.
Yellow Tooth Causes
Do you have yellow teeth? It is not that your teeth have gone from white to yellow in one day. It is a long term process. But do you know what causes yellow teeth?
Here are some of the most common causes of teeth discolouration:
- Diet: Consuming foods that are high in tannins, such as red wine, tea, dark chocolate, berries, and certain beverages such as coffee, soda get into the enamel of your teeth and cause tooth discolouration
- Smoking: Smoking is one of the main reasons behind the yellow teeth. The nicotine inside cigarette doesn’t just affect your lungs but it also leaves a yellowish stain on your teeth. If you are looking to whiten your teeth, you have to leave your smoking habit and follow a good oral care routine to get good results
- Fluoride: Excess fluoride can leave yellow or brownish spots on your teeth, especially in children which is also known as fluorosis (a condition where white lines or streaks appear on the teeth of young children)
- Dentin: Dentin is a hard, yellow to brownish porous layer found in the teeth under the enamel, which is responsible for yellow teeth. As the person gets older, the enamel (outer layer) present on the teeth becomes worn due to which dentin underneath it starts to show through making the teeth look yellow.
- Antibiotics: Some antibiotics such as Tetracycline antibiotics can stain teeth while developing inside the gums. According to the National Institutes of Health, if you took tetracycline antibiotics before the age of eight, you may permanently develop yellow teeth
- Grinding: Some people have a habit of tooth grinding when they are stressed or during asleep which is known as Bruxism. It weakens the enamel which results in yellowish teeth.
As you know the causes behind those yellow teeth, let’s discuss how to whiten teeth using some quick and cheap home remedies.
Best Teeth Whitening Home Remedies
Let’s dive into some of the DIY teeth whitening home remedies which can help you to whiten your teeth.
1) The Banana Hack
Does banana peel whiten teeth?
Yes, it does. The banana hack is an easy and inexpensive trick to remove the tars from your teeth. If you rub the insides of the banana peel on your teeth, it acts as an exfoliator and teeth stain remover. All you have to do is:
- Take the peel of the banana and rub it on the outer surface of your teeth for 2-5 minutes.
- Rinse it off with water
- Do this for three weeks daily to see good results
It is often debated whether the banana peel does give significant results or not, but since this is an easy and inexpensive method, this hack is worth a try.
2) Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar has become a common home remedy in many households. Apple cider vinegar consists of acetic acid that helps to remove plaque and stains from teeth, but because apple cider vinegar is more acidic, it’s important to mix it with water before using it. To utilize this hack
- Dilute half a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with a glass of water
- Rinse your mouth with the solution
- Do this every morning before you brush your teeth
Some doctors recommend waiting for 30 minutes after rinsing your mouth with this diluted apple cider vinegar and then brushing teeth as vinegar can become abrasive and harm the enamel of the teeth.
3) The Hydrogen Peroxide Hack
Hydrogen Peroxide is another bleaching agent which can be used for teeth whitening. Hydrogen peroxide is often considered as a versatile element that is also used in first aids. It is primarily composed of oxygen and hydrogen molecules which act as an excellent oxidizing agent.
- Take half a cup of hydrogen peroxide in a half glass water
- Rinse your mouth with the mixture for one minute
- Use it twice a week as a mouthwash
- Stop this hack if it is hurting your mouth
It can also be used with baking soda or toothpaste. Studies showed that the stains of coffee on the teeth can be removed with the help of hydrogen peroxide if it is used once or twice a week as a mouth wash. It can also be used by simply dipping a cotton swab into the hydrogen peroxide and gently rubbing it on your teeth.
4) Mashed Strawberries
Strawberries contain malic acid which is great for whitening teeth. All you have to do is
- Crush a few strawberries and add a bit of baking soda in it
- After a minute, spread the mixture firmly on your teeth
- Keep it on your teeth for five minutes as this will help the malic acid to break away the stains on teeth
- Remove the mixture properly after five minutes and brush your teeth with regular toothpaste to remove the mixture properly from your teeth
This process should be done only once a week as using it every day might cause tooth decay.
5) Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is rich in nutrients which are known for nourishing hair but apart from that this naturally formulated product is also an expert in teeth whitening. Clinical properties of coconut oil not only decrease the sensitivity of our teeth but also deter cavities from getting further worse. Unlike other hacks which help in removing the stain from the enamel, coconut oil actually works on the dentin (the layer situated beneath the enamel) to make your teeth brighter.
- After brushing your teeth, put a spoonful of oil in your mouth for five minutes which will absorb all the impurities from your mouth
- Gradually increase it up to 20 minutes
Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic technique that was used in the early ages due to its anti-bacterial and teeth whitening benefits.
You should also read: Symptoms of Oral Cancer Which You Should Never Ignore
6) Activated Charcoal
Activated charcoal is properly assembled black powder which is developed from a wide range of organic matters such as coconut shells, olive pits, slowly burned wood, and peat. Activated charcoal is highly porous and absorbent in nature which helps it to remove the toxins and odour. The pores present in the activated charcoal bind with the stain and plaque present of the surface of teeth and remove them when washed.
How to use charcoal teeth whitening?
To use activated charcoal teeth whitening, you need
- Take one toothbrush, one capsule of activated charcoal and some water.
- Spread activated charcoal powder on your toothbrush, just like you spread toothpaste over the brush.
- Now gently brush your teeth with it for 3-5 minutes
- Rinse your mouth with water once it’s done.
- Use charcoal for three days consecutively and then gradually decrease the days in a week
Activated charcoal is easily available in health food and medical stores in the form of tablets.
You can also get it online here:
HONEST CHOICE charcoal powder for teeth whitening
7) Baking Soda Hack
People who use tobacco generally asks how to remove tobacco stains from teeth. Baking soda is the best option to remove tobacco stains from teeth.
You can use baking soda for teeth whitening as it is really effective in removing the stains from the enamel of teeth. To get started you have to
- Take a half teaspoon of baking soda and add a few drops of water in it
- Gently apply it over your teeth with the help of a toothbrush
- Keep it for two minutes and then wash it off
Don’t use baking soda hack more than once in a week as it only removes stains from the upper surface of teeth by one to two shades.
8) Chewing Gum Hack
There are many teeth whitening chewing gums available in the market which can be chewed after having your meals. Chewing gums after meals will help in washing away the food particles which are left in the teeth. These food particles can cause stain on your teeth. Chewing gums stimulates salivary flow by increasing the saliva in the mouth which cleans your mouth thoroughly and coats the teeth and gums resulting in whitening of teeth.
It was observed and studied that chewing gum for around 20 minutes and consuming a meal after that can relatively deteriorate the process of tooth decay and consequently lead to a shinier set of teeth. Continuous chewing of the gum also helps in decreasing the sensitivity.
9) A Healthy Diet
A healthy diet not only helps the process of teeth whitening externally but also internally. Try to include fruits, vegetables, fiber, nuts in your diet which help remove plaque from your mouth and act as an organic stain remover. Having food with an excessive amount of sugar might be harmful to the enamel, so stay away from sugar-rich foods.
10) The Salt Hack
Salt is one of the most easily available items in every household. Salt acts as a gentle abrasive which consists of anti-bacterial properties. Hence, when you use salt to clean your teeth, it helps in breaking down the plaque build-up on the teeth, removes the bad bacteria from our mouth and cures bad breath. This prevents the buildup of stain and plaque on teeth and makes teeth brighter and healthier.
The ideal way to apply this hack is to put some salt instead of toothpaste on your brush and gently brush your teeth with it. Salt is also a great option in the absence of toothpaste or for an infected tooth.
Here are Some Other Remedies/Products for Teeth Whitening
Teeth Whitening Kits
If you want to get whiter teeth from the comfort of your home and not want to visit a dentist to go for a lengthy whitening procedure, there are various teeth whitening kits available in the market at affordable prices.
Here are some of the best teeth whitening kits:
Colgate Optic White At-Home Teeth Whitening Kit (LED-based)
The whitening kit includes 1 rechargeable LED teeth whitening tray, 20 teeth whitening gel vials having 9% hydrogen peroxide. It uses LED teeth whitening light with blue light technology for activating hydrogen peroxide. It is used for 10 minutes for 10 days and claims to remove up to 10 years of stains’
Seahaven Smile Dental Tooth Polishing Whitening Tool (LED-based)
This teeth whitening kit accelerates the whitening process by breaking down stains of the tooth surface. It contains 6 powerful LED bulbs to give faster and more effective results. The batteries can last up to 72 hours on continuous use. You just have to place the kit on your mouth for 20 minutes to get white teeth.
Teeth Whitening Strips
A home teeth whitening strip generally includes a bleach such as hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide which help remove both surface and deep stains to whiten tooth colour. Regular use of teeth whitening strips can give you noticeable results in a few weeks.
Most commonly used teeth whitening strip is:
Crest 3D White Whitestrips
The kit has 40 strips for top and bottom teeth along with two – 1-hour express whitening treatments (one each for upper and lower strip). It removes years of stains in just one hour in three easy steps.
How to Use Teeth Whitening Strips?
Using teeth whitening strips is very easy. Here are the step by step instructions for using teeth whitening strips:
- Brush your teeth at least 30 minutes before using teeth whitening strips; else plaque will get trapped between your strip and your teeth.
- Dry the surface of your teeth with a towel before applying the strips as it will increase the whitening effect.
- Apply the strips on your teeth with the gel-coated side making contact with the surface of the teeth
- Make sure that the strip completely covers your teeth
- On an average, most of the teeth whitening strips require a 30 minute of wait time after applying the strips on teeth
- Remove the strips and rinse your mouth with water or brush your teeth to ensure all the teeth whitening gel is out of your mouth. Don’t swallow the gel.
If you feel sensitivity in the teeth and gums, stop using teeth whitening strips and consult your dentist.
Laser Teeth Whitening
Laser teeth whitening is being commonly used for whitening teeth but is also among the most expensive methods to solve the problem of discolouring of teeth.
One of the main advantages of laser teeth whitening is that it can easily be used to bleach one tooth at a time which is really helpful when one tooth is more yellow than the surrounding teeth.
The disadvantage of laser teeth whitening as compared to other techniques such as peroxide whitening is that it can’t be done at home. The laser teeth whitening technique removes stains much faster than other techniques.
Note: Laser teeth whitening is not permanent. It can last from 6 months to 3 years, varying from person to person.
How Much Does Laser Teeth Whitening Cost?
Cost of laser teeth whitening varies from locations to locations and knowing the exact cost is not possible. But the estimation cost of laser teeth whitening may vary from $500 to $1500.
In India, laser teeth whitening package cost can start from INR 10,000 and can go up to INR 30,000.
Teeth Whitening Sensitivity
Though teeth whitening is generally considered safe, some may experience teeth sensitivity and jaw pain. This sensitivity is due to the fact that these hacks act on enamel or dentin present in the teeth and hence, the teeth become sensitive.
There are certain home remedies for tooth sensitivity which can follow. Make sure that after using these teeth whitening remedies you brush your teeth gently and not being too harsh on them. Apply toothpaste on the sensitive part of the teeth for twenty minutes after the procedure. This reduces the probability of the amount of sensitivity. Some experts recommend that you should avoid hot and cold drinks such as tea and coffee while trying different teeth whitening hacks.
Q1) Can I use medicines to reduce teeth sensitivity?
Ans: Many people tend to use medicines to reduce teeth sensitivity but you should try to avoid medicines at first you should try natural remedies for reducing teeth sensitivity such as honey in warm water, green tea saltwater, and desensitizing toothpaste. If the problem of sensitivity is persistent, it is recommended to visit a dentist first and then consume any kind of medicines prescribed by the dentist.
Q2) What happens if you leave teeth whitening strips on your mouth for too long?
Ans: Using teeth whitening strips on your mouth for longer than the recommended time will not give you better results. Instead, your teeth will become more sensitive and porous which can break down the surface enamel. The bleaching agent present in the strips can also harm your gums. Also, try to limit the use of teeth whitening strips to twice in a year.
Q3) How much does teeth whitening cost?
Ans: If you are looking for a professional cleaning through a dentist, the teeth whitening packages generally start from INR 8,000 to INR 20,000 in Indian cities such as Delhi. The price may vary in other cities. The package includes professional cleaning, whitening, polishing and maintenance for a month.
Q4) How long does teeth whitening last?
Ans: It is important that teeth whitening is not permanent. Teeth whitening generally lasts from a few months to up to 3 years, depending on the technique used for whitening teeth. If you want the whitening effect to remain long, you should avoid smoking, red wine, tea, coffee, unhealthy food habits.
Q5) What to eat after teeth whitening?
Ans: You should avoid dark-coloured liquids such as red wine, tea, coffee, soft drinks, dark fruits, sweets, chocolates, tobacco products. You can consume low-fat milk, egg whites, peeled potatoes, white cheese, cauliflower, white rice, lean protein foods etc.
All the above-mentioned teeth whitening home remedies will go in vain if you don’t brush and floss your teeth twice a day and take proper care of your oral hygiene. I hope with these home remedies you will be able to get pearl white teeth. Let me know in the comments below, which remedy gave you the best results.